Winter driving tips to stay safe when roads are slippery
- Is the trip really necessary? Consider staying off the roads.
- Clear snow and ice from all windows and lights.
- Pay attention.
- Leave plenty of room for stopping.
- Leave room for maintenance vehicles and plows.
- Know the current road conditions.
- Use brakes carefully.
- Watch for slippery bridge decks.
- Don’t use your cruise control in wintry conditions.
- Don’t get overconfident in your 4×4 vehicle.
- Do not pump anti-lock brakes.
- Look farther ahead in traffic than you normally do.
- Remember that trucks are heavier than cars.
- Go slow!
The Nation Highway Traffic Safety Administration has a thorough overview of winter driving safety precautions HERE.